Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New Book: Divergent

I have just started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.  It’s one of those books that you live in a society where everything is controlled by the government. There are things called factions which are places with different rules and you get to choose which one you want to live in for the rest of your life. Right now the main character, Beatrice, lives in the Abnegation faction. She can only see herself in the mirror once every three months when she gets her hair cut. She says while she’s getting a haircut, “I sneak a look at my reflection-not for the sake of vanity, but out of curiosity. A lot can happen to a person’s appearance in three months.” She actually has to “sneak” a look at herself just to remind her what she looks like. This is so different than our world. We probably take a look at ourselves in the mirror about ten times a day. Beatrice is at the age where she has to choose her faction and it is happening soon. I’ll update when I get there.
 

3 comments:

  1. I read this book last year and thought it was a very good read. I started reading the secound one and i don't think I ever got through it though. I think i might have to go back and look through it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and I liked it. I felt that its plot and setting was very similar to The Hunger Games. It was pretty good, and I liked its setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this book but it seems very good. The way you describe it, the story does seem a little like the The Hunger Games like what Akash said above. I have not read this book but it seems like it would be a great story to read.

    ReplyDelete